When i was first “introduced” to shrimp and grits…I was really unsure about it. My sister was a HUGE FAN of the dish but I didn’t like my first impression of it. It’s funny how our first impressions can ruin a lot of great experiences for us! Luckily, through my food and eating journey…I was reintroduced to shrimp n grits and thought that maybe there was a possibility my PERCEPTION of it was skewed by a shitty chef lol.I was right…and here’s why…
1) Shrimp n grits – not just for people who love the idea of combining shrimp and grits.
2) Shrimp n grits are cheesy, warm and comforting…and please do not associate this with your grannys breakfast edition of stale grits stuck to the bottom of a pot.It’s not the same.
3) Shrimp n grits are inexpensive, easy to make, easy to dress up and easy to dress down!
- 3 cups of instant grits
- salt and pepper to taste
- 2 tablespoons of butter
- 2 cups of sharp cheddar cheese
- 1lb of large or jumbo shrimp
- parsley for garnish
- 1 teaspoon of crushed red pepper
- 1 teaspoon of Cajun seasoning
- 3-6 strips of bacon COOKED. And save your grease because you will cook the shrimp in this!
- 1 cup of green onions
- 6 cups of chicken broth
In a saucepan, combine butter, salt, pepper, chicken broth and instant grits.
This is my husbands plate… i added extra cheese to the top of his grits then piled on shrimp, pieces of bacon, green onions and parsley! He absolutely loved it and below is my bowl!